The biggest thing that happened today was that we had a huge opening ceremony for the program. The deputy minister of higher education in Malaysia was there along with the vice chancellor and some other high up people in the ministry of education here. It was a big deal, national press, tons of pictures, formal greetings and the whole nine yards. I don't have any pictures from it yet, but we all got dressed up and I'll post some later.
So I was thinking yesterday about the different perspectives we all have in life. I look at the world around me in such a different way than everyone else looks at the world. The way I react to things happens because of the mindset that I have. I wonder what it would be like to have a different perspective, to look at the Malaysian world around me and think of it as normal. The busy streets and open air markets and restaurants are so different from Michigan. I have no internal loyalty to Malaysia, but I do to the US. What would it be like for a completely different culture to become the norm of my life and to change the mindset that I have?
3 comments:
your last question is part of why we are friends :) i like that you realize that, think about stuff like that, and ask that question. honestly one of the reasons I am so glad you are there is for this to happen. Your perspective will be changed, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not even by the end of the trip, but overtime you will realize - you have changed. you know more, understand more, and in my opinion are able to better interact w/ this world because of it.
Hi bloggie friend!! I'm so excited to be able to read about your time in Malaysia and not feel like you are quite so far away...
We ordered carpeting for the basement today, and the bathroom down there is tiled! We're getting closer... just got to get you a ceiling and you're all set. :)
I'm so excited for your journey, and proud of you for going so far away on your own. God has big things for you, missy.
:)
i miss you!!!! i hope the 6 weeks is the right pace for you but super fast for me. and i'll volunteer to give you the biggest case of culture shock upon your return. i'll be the total opposite of malaysian, whatever that means.
and i'll hug you a lot.
:) i love your updates
Post a Comment