Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What is an American?

I was asked the other day to describe the typical American person. For some reason, this question stumped me. So I thought I would toss it out to anyone who is reading my blog and see what you think. How would you describe a typical American?

Yesterday I taught my first partial lesson. It went pretty well, but I'm still getting used to the completely different way of teaching here. The teaching is completely centered around the examinations students take in 9th, 11th and 12th grades. These exams determine what stream they will be in (science or art) as well as what track they will be in (high, medium or low). So with all of this tracking and ranking, students also have to take a standardized exam and all classwork (at least in their English classes) focuses on preparing them for the exams. Basically this means that there are certain topics I have to teach on and yesterday was reading comprehension. I was definitely nervous about it, but it ended up going alright. There are some pictures of me with some of my students posted on my picasa album on the top right link. Check it out!

In other news, we are leaving for Malacca tomorrow. Should be such a fun trip filled with historical sites and museums and fun times with my classmates. The hotel we're staying in seems like it's going to be high class, swimming pool, air conditioning, maybe even an actual toilet if we're lucky... :) As fun as squatty potties are, it's nice to use a regular toilet. I'll make sure I update when we get back.

2 comments:

Katie said...

We can't wait to have you move in too!! (and there had better be a ceiling for you by the time you come... there will be carpet for sure!)
It's so fun to read about what you're up to - but we're looking forward to having you back!
:D
love and miss you too!!

Dana said...

the only picture of a toilet you have in your picasa album is a regular one. where is that?

take a pic of a squatty potty.

tell your malaysian friends that a typical american is one who demands a functional toilet:)