Thursday, August 27, 2009

Calm in the chaos

A few shots of the city.


So much has happened in the past few weeks. It feels like a whirlwind of meetings, preparations and lots of moving boxes. KIA moved into a new building this year and it has been a bit of a scramble to try and get everything done before school starts on Monday. When I first toured the school it was a mess filled with wires hanging from the ceiling, dirt/dust everywhere, no furniture - I had no idea how we were going to get everything done in time for school to start. I'm still not totally sure how we're going to get everything done, but at least there's some furniture built and boxes are in the classrooms. I'm still missing a few student spelling workbooks and language arts textbooks, but otherwise I think I have most all of what I need. The goal is to have shelves and cabinets built and completed tomorrow so i can put everything away and have room for desks in the room. I'm really hoping it will actually happen.

First look at my classroom!

And that's only half of the boxes... My classroom library.


So basically I've been incredibly busy this past week getting ready for school to start as far as writing lesson plans, creating a behavior management plan, thinking about procedures and emotionally preparing myself to have my own classroom of students. There is an incredible amount to think about and I feel as though my brain is always on overload with random thoughts about school. I'm surprised I haven't had any dreams about it all yet.

Emotionally and spiritually I have been doing alright. I haven't had too much time to feel lonely yet. It helps having so many people so close by. In the almost 4 weeks we've been here, Kim and I have only been on our own for dinner a few times. It's incredible the amount of support we've received. I ask that I continue to feel that support as school starts and that I would lean on my Father for my strength, not my own strength. I cannot do this without Him and He is the reason I am here. As school begins I know I will have a tendency to forgo quality time with the Father and I ask that I would be consistent in my pursuit of that time.

Thank you all for loving me so well. I enjoy getting all the emails and facebook messages. It is wonderful to know that I am being thought of often and loved intentionally. Keep it coming - I will need continuous love from you in the weeks and months ahead.

3 comments:

Ruth Anan said...

I'm excited to see photos of your classroom, albeit still not completed and filled with disorganized boxes. Please know that your dad and I will be thinking of you on Monday on your first day as a real-live teacher!

Emily Moiseeff said...

mere-

the place looks great already! I can't wait to hear about your new students! what an awesome opportunity, for you and for those kids! xoxo em

Dana said...

much love from the states mere!

I can't wait to hear how your first days go with your students - you'll be great!